Sunday 15 January 2012

One more thing, please.

Please don't talk over me when I'm speaking.
Please take breaks in your speeches to me to allow me to respond.
Please don't tell me what to do, or how I should think.
Especially don't tell me how I should feel.

Please don't assume how I think or feel.
Please don't assume that you know what's happened to me.
Please ask me if you're unsure, I'll be as honest as I can.
Please don't assume that you know the right answer.
For that matter, don't tell me that I assume I'm right. I rarely do.
Please don't tell me that something will certainly help me - you're not me, so what works for you or for other people with Asperger's won't necessarily work for me.

Please don't compare me to other people. I'm myself.

Please don't assume that I don't want to talk to you.
Please don't force me to start talking to you or to somebody else, either.
I might not talk often, but please listen to me when I do.

Please understand that I don't always understand you.
Please understand that I do want to, though. More than anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment